by Kevin J. Anderson
National Novel Writing Month is coming up! November, when the air turns colder, winter looms, time to stay inside and write a novel. After all, you've got the whole month.
Last year, over 300,000 official participants joined in the fun (and work). I'm a prolific writer myself and for me it's pretty much National Novel Writing Month every month of the year, but for the NaNoWriMo participants they realize that they *can do it.* But for the average person, writing 50,000 words in four weeks is quite a challenge. You need a lot of inspiration—and a lot of tools.
Here, to get you ramped up for the marathon, I've curated a baker's dozen of instructional books on all aspects of writing, from craft, to productivity, to business, to career advice, to specific areas of expertise. Presenting, for the second year in a row, the NaNoWriMo Writing Tools StoryBundle: a massive batch of useful books that will help you survive—and thrive—during National Novel Writing Month—the full spectrum of useful information. You name your own price, whatever you feel this batch of books is worth, and part of the money you pay goes to help the supportive non-profit NaNoWriMo organization.
I put together these books from the general to the specific, a treasure chest of books vital to your success—not only in writing your novel but in launching your long-term career as a successful writer. This is a toolkit, a drill sergeant, a mentor, and a cheerleading section, all in one.
For the big picture, there are two classics that have already influenced numerous bestselling writers: Writing to the Point by Algis Budrys and Writing the Blockbuster Novel by Al Zuckerman; there's also Brewing Fine Fictionedited by Maya Kaathryn Bohnhoff & Pati Nagle, Jump Start Your Novel by Mark Teppo, 52 Ways to Get Unstuck edited by Chris Mandeville, and the unique and massive Synopsis Treasury edited by C.S. Haviland.
For coaching on specific skills, Kevin J. Anderson presents Wordbuilding: From Small Towns to Entire Universes; Stant Litore teaches you how to Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget; Marie Brennan talks about Writing Fight Scenes, while Judith Tarr shows all about Writing Horses.
And once you've got your book finished and your career launched, you need to know about Writing Copy by Dean Wesley Smith, Discoverability by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, and Million Dollar Booksignings by David Farland. For a minimum bid of $15 you get all 13 books in any ebook format. Worldwide.
You can hear the corny announcer's voice next. "But wait, there's more!" This year, as a special bonus we've never done before, storybundle.com is offering a "SuperBundle" for only ten dollars more ($25 total)—you receive all 13 of this year's Writing Tools bundle titles AND all 12 books from last year's NaNoWriMo StoryBundle, in case you missed it—vital books on productivity, craft, outlining, TV writing, and much more.
To recap, the initial titles in the 2015 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools Bundle (minimum $5 to purchase) are:
- Writing the Blockbuster Novel by Albert Zuckerman
- 52 Ways to Get Unstuck by Chris Mandeville
- Discoverability by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Writing to the Point by Algis Budrys
- Brewing Fine Fiction by Maya Kaathryn Bohnoff and Pati Nagle
- Write Characters Your Readers Won't Forget by Stant Litore
If you pay more than the bonus price of just $15, you get all six of the regular titles, plus seven more valuable books to help you become a master writer:
- The Synopsis Treasury by Christopher Sirmons Haviland
- Writing Horses - The Fine Art of Getting It Right by Judith Tarr
- Million Dollar Book Signings by David Farland
- How to Write Fiction Sales Copy by Dean Wesley Smith
- Worldbuilding - From Small Towns to Entire Universes by Kevin J. Anderson
- Writing Fight Scenes by Marie Brennan
- Jump Start Your Novel by Mark Teppo
Better yet, for another $10 ($25 total), you get ALL of the books featured in the 2014 NaNoWriMo Writing Tools bundle!
- Drawing on the Power of Resonance in Writing by David Farland
- Million Dollar Productivity by Kevin J. Anderson
- Killing the Top Ten Sacred Cows of Publishing by Dean Wesley Smith
- The Pursuit of Perfection and How it Harms Writers by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- Million Dollar Professionalism by Kevin J. Anderson and Rebecca Moesta
- Shadows Beneath by Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, Dan Wells & Howard Tayler
- Million Dollar Outlines by David Farland
- 21 Days to a Novel by Michael A. Stackpole
- Charisma +1: The Guide to Convention Etiquette for Writers, Geeks, and the Socially Awkward by Jessica Brawner
- The Freelancer's Survival Guide by Kristine Kathryn Rusch
- 500 Ways to Write Harder by Chuck Wendig
- The Non-User-Friendly Guide for Aspiring TV Writers by Steven L. Sears
The bundle is available for a very limited time only, via http://www.storybundle.com. It allows easy reading on computers, smartphones, and tablets as well as Kindle and other ereaders via file transfer, email, and other methods. You get multiple DRM-free formats (.epub and .mobi) for all books!
It's also super easy to give the gift of reading with StoryBundle, thanks to our gift cards – which allow you to send someone a code that they can redeem for any future StoryBundle bundle – and timed delivery, which allows you to control exactly when your recipient will get the gift of StoryBundle.
Why StoryBundle? Here are just a few benefits StoryBundle provides.
- Get quality reads: We've chosen works from excellent authors to bundle together in one convenient package.
- Pay what you want (minimum $5): You decide how much these fantastic books are worth to you. If you can only spare a little, that's fine! You'll still get access to a batch of exceptional titles.
- Support authors who support DRM-free books: StoryBundle is a platform for authors to get exposure for their works, both for the titles featured in the bundle and for the rest of their catalog. Supporting authors who let you read their books on any device you want—restriction free—will show everyone there's nothing wrong with ditching DRM.
- Give to worthy causes: Bundle buyers have a chance to donate a portion of their proceeds to charity.
- Receive extra books: If you beat our bonus price, you're not just getting six books, you're getting thirteen! And if you opt into the 2nd tier bonus, you're getting twenty-five total!
StoryBundle was created to give a platform for independent authors to showcase their work, and a source of quality titles for thirsty readers. StoryBundle works with authors to create bundles of ebooks that can be purchased by readers at their desired price. Before starting StoryBundle, Founder Jason Chen covered technology and software as an editor for Gizmodo.com and Lifehacker.com.